Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spinach and Great Northern Beans

I am always looking for new and interesting, but fast, side dishes that are on the healthier side. In this case, I was looking for a side dish that packed a little more of a sustained punch than most vegetable side dishes without being a lot of empty carbohydrates. I love eating a big plate of broccoli and it fills me up, but I'm hungry again in less than an hour. I wanted a dish that would stick with me a bit longer. Fortunately, I have come to realize that I absolutely adore great northern beans. Their creaminess is so wonderful, but I find they need a little something-something to go with them. This dish surely lets them shine.

Spinach and Great Northern Beans
Yield: 2 generous side servings

1 15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz fresh spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and the garlic, letting them sizzle together for a minute or two. Add the spinach and toss occasionally so that it cooks evenly. When the spinach is mostly wilted, add the beans and cook for just so that the beans are heated through. Remove from the heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Be careful not to saute the beans too long or they will dry out and be less appealing.

2 comments:

  1. I love both of these and eat them often, but for some reason have never thought of combining them (except in soups).
    This is so simple, yet sounds so good that I am adding it to my "side dish" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete